[DWJ] Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 02:43:08 EDT 2013

No spoilers here, except for the last sentence which isn't really one.

Had a frenzied little conversation about this on Twitter too, and the
funny thing was it reminded everyone of a different DWJ.

For me it was Fire and Hemlock-ish, definitely. Others swore by
Hexwood. My housemate said Time of the Ghost and Deep Secret. Another
contingent championed Enchanted Glass.

Definitely that strong sense of mystery underpinning/secretly
interacting with the everyday, and secrets being dredged out of memory
(whereas I find in Gaiman it usually feels like a more distinct
world/subworld/discovery-of-the-unfamiliar rather than
discovery-of-something-you-maybe-ought-to-have-known-all-along). And
yet I felt the through-line of the story was from a slightly different
genre.

For the record, I liked it a lot. My housemate, however, had a
dramatic reaction to it and the sense of making sense of the past &
childhood. When she posts about it I'll link here.

***
spoiler:

[[mantawolf!!!]]