[DWJ] Some brief reviews

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Feb 4 10:46:41 EST 2013

I always loved The Spellcoats most out of that whole series. I
was quite young when I read it, and just getting introduced to
the idea of metafiction, and the spellcoats themselves are such a
clear and lovely introduction, with the framing story to clarify.
Possibly the book was actually formative in my love of the
technique.

One thing I think I left about it is how FINAL it leaves the
global tragedy at the end. You know it's coming, and then you get
the frame storytelling you that everything changed, geography and
all. But still, it's left unknown how individuals, the
individuals you have grown to love and care for through the
story, coped. Many of them we know are immortal and we meet
later, so what does actually happen to Duck and Tanaqui et al.?
How do they become, well, gods?

-deborah