[DWJ] Some brief reviews

Kylie Ding kylie_ding at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 3 02:46:40 EST 2013

The Spellcoats was never one of my favourites, though being DWJ of course I
did like it.  It's quite a bleak book, and there some violent imagery in it.
There's a review on the back flap that is actually for Drowned Ammett, but I
think applies as well here: "There is no whimsy in her invented land."  I do
much prefer the more whimsical books.  But one thing I really liked is that
DWJ treated her readers as if they were intelligent.  The ending with the
weaving of Cenblith's thread, and not telling the reader what happened, but
giving enough information to work it out in the final note, is something I
really liked when I first read the book, and I still do on a reread.  I also
liked the tying in of the Dalemark of Mitt and Moril's time to the time of
Tanaqui.

DWJ's short stories are something I've never really got on with.  I've read
"Carruthers", "Auntie Bea's Day Out" and "The Fluffy Pink Toadstool".  It's
the combination of a really annoying older relative, and magic that doesn't
fit.  It's suddenly there with no explanation and doesn't fit with the rest
of the ordinary world.  Having said that, "Auntie Bea's Day Out" did have
bits that made me smile like the army ringing up and wanting to know how
Teddy got left hanging in the air.

I'm still reading The Magicians of Caprona.  I think it is now, as it was
when I read it the first time, one of the most perfect books ever written.
Unlike the short stories the magic is an integral part of the world.  This
book (and Charmed Life) should have brought DWJ the adulation that J. K.
Rowling received.

Byeeee,

Kylie