[DWJ] Call For Papers: Diana Wynne Jones Conference!

Lucy Pearson lucy.r.pearson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 12:49:14 EDT 2013

Dear all,

I am pleased to annnounce A Fantastic Legacy: a Diana Wynne Jones Meorial
Conference, which will take place 5/6 September, 2014 in Newcastle, UK.

The conference is aimed at fans as well as academics (I know lots of people
here are both); we're still confirming invited guests but they will include
Laura Cecil (Diana's literary agent) and the list's own Catherine
Butler! I'm hoping that it will also include a lot of great papers by all
kinds of people, and to that end I strongly encourage you all to take a
look at the call for papers and consider submitting something.

We're particularly keen to have papers which make use of Diana's archive,
which is now hosued at Seven Stories, the National Centre for Children's
Books, in Newcastle. There's some amazing material there, including
unpublished fragments which would be really interesting to explore and
relate to the published works.

You don't have to be affiliated with an academic institution to give a
paper (although we are looking for papers with a reasonably rigorous
approach) and we're able to offer a discounted rate for people who aren't
affiliated with an academic institution (we're still confirming the exact
rate, but it will be at least £30 off).

I'd love to meet lots of the list members at this. Do circluate the CFP
anywhere you think it may be of interest.

All the best,

Lucy

--
 CFP: A  fantastic legacy  Diana Wynne Jones Memorial Conference

Diana Wynne Jones was one of the most outstanding 20th-century writers of
British children’s fantasy. She is widely recognised among scholars,
writers and fans of science fiction and fantasy as a truly ground-breaking
writer who made a significant contribution to the genres in which she
operated, and her death in 2011 was deeply mourned. This international
conference will celebrate her life, and evaluate her contribution to
children’s literature, fantasy and science fiction.

We are currently seeking papers on any aspect of Diana’s life and work,
including but not limited to:

    - Her contribution to changing ideas of genre, audience, and form in
      fantasy and science fiction.
      - Her contribution to children’s literature, and her engagement with
      and empowerment of the child reader.
      - Her  status as a female fantasy writer, and the ways in which she
      engaged with the gender discourse within fantasy and science fiction.
      - Publishing history and the commercial and creative forces affecting
      experimental and boundary-breaking work.
      - Translations of her books, and the international context and
      reception of her work.

In 2010, Diana donated her archive to Seven Stories, the National Centre
for Children’s Books. The collection contains stories and other
compositions written by Jones when she was a child; draft material relating
to 49 published works by Jones, including novels and short stories; draft
material relating to numerous unpublished works, including plays, novels
and poetry; correspondence and personal papers, including professional
correspondence; drafts of articles and talks by or about Jones; and copies
of some of Jones' published works, including some foreign language
editions. We are particularly interested in papers which make use of this
material.

Participants are invited to submit 100-250 word abstracts for 20 minute
papers via our online contact form <http://forms.ncl.ac.uk/view.php?id=4895> -
http://forms.ncl.ac.uk/view.php?id=4895

*Deadline for abstracts:  *28 March 2014

*Notification of outcome: *28 April 2014

Abstracts should be submitted in doc, docx, or odt form via our online
contact form <http://forms.ncl.ac.uk/view.php?id=4895> -
http://forms.ncl.ac.uk/view.php?id=4895

You can explore the contents of the Diana Wynne Jones Collection via the
Seven Stories catalogue: http://collection.sevenstories.org.uk/home/.
Contact collections at sevenstories.org.uk to arrange access.

Lucy Pearson, Lecturer in Children's Literature
Newcastle University Children's Literature Unit
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/elll/research/children/unit.htm