[DWJ] McKinley and racism (WAS recommendations)

Ellen Willcox eawil3 at email.wm.edu
Thu Aug 1 20:55:11 EDT 2013

Great points re:  characters with disabilities.  I have to ask:  have you
read The King's General by Daphne du Maurier?  Almost certainly the most
awesome protagonist with a disability I've ever read.  Plus, it's
historical fiction, so it's based on a real person!  A real, amazing person
who stood up to a king and secretly freed prisoners and carried on a
sweeping love affair with the Royalists' most notorious general before and
during the English civil war, and who just happened to be paraplegic.  I
highly recommend it.

- Nic