[DWJ] Audiobooks

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Apr 28 17:43:30 EDT 2013

My experience is with Audible USA.

In my part of the world, over here west of the Atlantic, the readers of the
unabridged ones are Jenny Sterlin for Howl and Gerard Doyle for
Chrestomanci. Enchanted Glass is Stephen Crossley.

Wild Robert, Earwig and the Witch, and Stopping for a Spell are by three
other people. I haven't listened to any of those.

Of these, I would say my least favorite is Jenny Sterlin, but they're all
perfectly acceptable.

[There are no abridged versions available on Audible USA.]

USA Audible does not offer Merlin Conspiracy. I don't choose
dramatizations, although I enjoyed the three readers for The
Baroque Trilogy [not, of course, by Ms. Jones]. It wasn't a
dramatization, but two of the characters had specific narrators.

As for abridged versions, I never choose them. I have one, _Johnny
and the Dead_ written by Sir Terry Pratchett and read by Tony
Robinson. [Happy 65th Birthday, Sir Terry!!!] It's a book with which
I am quite familiar and which I have read numerous times and have
listened to the unabridged version. I must say that it is a really
excellent job of abridging and excellently read. [If you ever want
my opinions of Terry Pratchett audiobooks, feel free to ask.]

On Apr 24, 2013, at 3:15 PM, es at historicalfact.com wrote:

> I'm listening to the Merlin Conspiracy at the minute, read by David
> Tennant (Nick's bits) and Emilia Fox (Roddy's bits).  It's great, but
> Fox's Welsh accent for Gwyn and Roddy's mum sounds just like Kendra from
> Buffy, and it's quite distracting!
>
> Has anyone listened to any of the other DWJ audiobooks?  Are they any
> good? I'm always a bit suspicious of abridged versions, I prefer the
> unabridged ones so I've not put any of the others on the audible wishlist.
> I'm really tempted by Miriam Margolyes doing Archer's Goon though!

There are no limits to
what you can accomplish
when you are supposed to be
doing something else.