[DWJ] DWJ influenced writers

Lucy Pearson lucy.r.pearson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 05:06:36 EDT 2012

Thanks for all these great recommendations, people! I'm definitely going to
check some of them out - I've been in a bit of a reading drought recently
and I really needed some fresh things to enjoy.

Lucy

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Katherine Meyers <katiegmeyers at gmail.com>wrote:

> This is funny, because I was about to jump in with a recommendation for
> Sarah Rees Brennan's newest book, _Unspoken_.  I just finished it last
> night and really enjoyed it (although partly this may have been a case of
> "the right book at the right time").  Possibly because I know the author is
> a DWJ fan, I was seeing a number of similarities that made me happy.  I'm
> going to avoid any spoilers because the book is so new.  This means that I
> will be so vague that I may not make much sense, but oh well.  First off,
> the main character's imaginary friend reminded me of Ann's voices in
> Hexwood.  The families and their histories, the role of magic, the woods,
> the British small town life, the reveals, the main character being a
> writer, and the fact that it was so funny all sort of made me think of DWJ
> as well.  Though it is really different in many ways.
>
> I'm so happy to get all of these recommendations!  Was looking for a good
> book!
>
> Katie
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:44:49 +0800
> From: Kyra Jucovy <arykiy at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [DWJ] DWJ influenced writers
> To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion <dwj at suberic.net>
>
> I suppose I ought to chime in with my recommendation for Sarah Rees
> Brennan.  I haven't read her two newest books yet, but I really loved *The
> Demon's Lexicon* and liked its two sequels.  I wouldn't say SRB is actually
> that close to DWJ in style, but she certainly is a DWJ fan, quite
> explicitly.  As I mentioned on LiveJournal when I was reviewing one of the
> sequels, *The Demon's Lexicon "*is not my* *perfect book (although it does
> have in common with my perfect book a group of demon fighters, one of whom
> is a boy named Jamie, which is closer than most books get)."  I also think
> there's a similarity (this is why Gili's mention of the *Curseworkers
> *books
> reminded me of it) in the way that *The Demon's Lexicon *is structured,
> with multiple twists centered around the idea of identity, a focus on
> family relationships, and an ending where a lot of what we saw over the
> book gets explicitly recontextualized by the narrator in order to make the
> reveal clear (a technique I do associate with DWJ, like, I dunno, when
> Vierran rethinks Ann's motives in swinging her legs over Mordion in
> *Hexwood
> *, for example).
>
> ---Kyra
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Gili Bar-Hillel
> <gbhillel at netvision.net.il>wrote:

Lucy Pearson, Lecturer in Children's Literature
Newcastle University Children's Literature Unit
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/elll/research/children/unit.htm