[DWJ] DWJ influenced writers

Kyra Jucovy arykiy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 07:44:49 EDT 2012

I suppose I ought to chime in with my recommendation for Sarah Rees
Brennan.  I haven't read her two newest books yet, but I really loved *The
Demon's Lexicon* and liked its two sequels.  I wouldn't say SRB is actually
that close to DWJ in style, but she certainly is a DWJ fan, quite
explicitly.  As I mentioned on LiveJournal when I was reviewing one of the
sequels, *The Demon's Lexicon "*is not my* *perfect book (although it does
have in common with my perfect book a group of demon fighters, one of whom
is a boy named Jamie, which is closer than most books get)."  I also think
there's a similarity (this is why Gili's mention of the *Curseworkers *books
reminded me of it) in the way that *The Demon's Lexicon *is structured,
with multiple twists centered around the idea of identity, a focus on
family relationships, and an ending where a lot of what we saw over the
book gets explicitly recontextualized by the narrator in order to make the
reveal clear (a technique I do associate with DWJ, like, I dunno, when
Vierran rethinks Ann's motives in swinging her legs over Mordion in *Hexwood
*, for example).

---Kyra