[DWJ] DWJ influenced writers

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Sep 19 04:56:14 EDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gili Bar-Hillel <hptranslator at gmail.com>
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion <dwj at suberic.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:43:05 +0300
Subject: Re: [DWJ] DWJ influenced writers
I second Frances Hardinge - she's LOVELY and as diverse as Diana. The only
book I've read by Rhiannon Lassiter was "Ghost of a Chance", a ripping take
on classic ghost stories that did indeed remind me in places of Wilkins
Tooth and The Time of the Ghost.  Flora Segunda was good too. I'm also a
big fan of Philip Reeve, Jonathan Stroud especially ("Heroes of the
Valley", though it's very dark) and Garth Nix.

Try Karen Healey's "Guardian of the Dead" which reminded me in equal parts
of Pamela Dean's "Tam Lin" and Margaret Mahy's "Changeover". And N.K.
Jemisin's "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms" had bits that reminded me of the
more epic aspects of the Dalemark books.

Jessica Day George's "Dragon Slippers" and sequels were fun.

Holly Black's Curseworkers trilogy is more horror/suspense, and is very
dark, but is a bit DWJish in how the protagonist discovers himself and the
ways in which his family have been manipulating him.

Sent from my iPad