[DWJ] influenced writers

Anita Graham anita at joli.com.au
Tue Sep 18 09:50:44 EDT 2012

Since we are so chatty tonight, I'll just chime in with other (somewhat)
recently enjoyed reading, without comparing them to DWJ.

Emma Bull - "Territory".  (I thought I saw that a sequel was coming, but
I've lost that reference)
Patricia Wrede - "Thirteenth Child" and "Across the Great Barrier", and
just out "The Far West"

These two (authors) or four (books) are set in magical wild wests.
(Differently wild and differently magic, though). Territory is about
adults - although I don't recall any 'adult content'. The three books by
Patricia Wrede follow Eff Rothmer from the ago of about 10 to 21 or more,
and follow her growing up in a difficult situation (her twin is the
seventh son of a seventh son, she is the unlucky thirteenth child), in
frontier country where the frontier is made of magic and the danger beyond
the frontier comes from magic. (What could Eff be short for? Euphemia?
That is a strange choice of name for a child who is born with all the bad
reputation and labels Eff suffers.)

The absolutely fantastic Flora Fyrdraaca of Crackpot Hall can be met in
the three books by Ysabeau Wilce:
"Flora Segunda -  Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her
Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven
Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog",
"Flora's Dare" and
"Flora's Fury". (I haven't read this one yet - waiting for easy
availability in Australia, or a birthday or something).

If you want to read the subtitles of the second and third books you can
look them up!

Megan Whalen Turner (as already mentioned by another poster.)
Steven Brust.

Also, not books and not the TV show it claims to be, is Shadow Unit (which
has Emma Bull as Co-Producer, also Elizabeth Bear, Sarah Monette and Will
Shetterly and some others as writers), the written episodes of a fictional
crime TV show. Definitely adult (violence, supernatural themes). Find out
more at http://www.shadowunit.org/

--
Anita Graham
anita at joli.com.au