[DWJ] DWJ influenced writers

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:48:11 EDT 2012

Most of what comes to mind is the classic stuff I read as a kid: Eva
Ibbotson, Madeleine L'Engle, Astrid Lindgren, Edith Nesbit, Lloyd
Alexander, Patricia Wrede, Michael Ende.

Most modern fantasy for children I've read isn't much like that at all
(okay, Gaiman aside). Cornelia Funke has her moments, especially in the
Inkworld trilogy. I really recommend Rebecca Stead's *When You Reach
Me,*though it isn't all that DWJ-ish (except in the sense that they're
both a
bit like L'Engle). Nnedi Okorafor's *Zahrah the Windseeker* is a good one
too, and has some of the Jones mix of the whimsical and the serious.

Katta