[DWJ] DWJ influenced writers

Lucy Pearson lucy.r.pearson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:17:37 EDT 2012

Thanks, Katta - I hadn't come across Lily Archer at all. I'll check her out!

I agree it's probably only possible to find writers who 'feel' like a
particular DWJ book, because she's so diverse - I'm not really looking for
the feel of any specific book, but just recommendations for books / writers
which share something with some of Diana's work.

Lucy

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Katarina Hjärpe
<katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com>wrote:

> I know that Lily Archer, of The Poisoned Apples, is influenced by Diana
> Wynne Jones, though of course her books are an entirely different style.
>
> As for "the same sort of feel", it rather depends on what kind of feel
> you're aiming for. Is it an Archer's Goon feel, or a Fire and Hemlock feel,
> or a Dalemark feel, or a Power of Three feel? I think it's easier to find a
> book similar to one of those than one similar to all of them.
>
> Katta
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Lucy Pearson <lucy.r.pearson at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hello all!
> >
> > As I'm in one of my periodic DWJ hiatuses (I've reread everything too
> > recently and need to give it time to breathe), I thought I'd reach out to
> > the list for some new reading ideas. Is there anyone writing now who is
> > influenced by DWJ / has the same sort of feel? She's so unique, I find it
> > hard to think of people who show a clear debt - but with so many of us
> out
> > there who love her work, there must be a few whose love found its way
> into
> > print!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Lucy
> >

> --
> Katarina Hjärpe
>
> fokusbibliotekarie
> Rosendalsskolan
> Linköping

Lucy Pearson, Lecturer in Children's Literature
Newcastle University Children's Literature Unit
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/elll/research/children/unit.htm