[DWJ] gello..fading echo.... anybody there?

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 11:54:46 EDT 2012

Not many belly laughs in Alan Garner! (Wit, yes.) I have the same problem
at home (didn't appreciate, won't try again). After many years, we've
agreed no longer to discuss it...

I like to start people off with Archer's Goon or Howl's, because they're
funny and because both illustrate perfectly how DWJ makes up a category all
to herself. Chrestomanci is accessible too I suppose, but I think gives
people the wrong idea of how rich her work is, by positioning the magic
within a hierarchy of witches, warlocks, enchanters, government agencies,
etc., which seems too familiar given what came later from lesser writers.
(Plus I find Chrestomanci increasingly irritating.)

Joe