[DWJ] Cunobelinus in Time of the Ghost

hschinske at aol.com hschinske at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 14:07:41 EDT 2012

I think I assumed the same as your fiancee. Though the bit about asking
if he was needed sounded more like King Arthur. I've never heard of any
legend that said Cymbeline was coming back.

Oh, interesting: in the Wikipedia entry on Shakespeare's play, it says
"The editors of the Oxford and Norton Shakespeare believe the name of
Imogen is a misspelling of Innogen—they draw several comparisons
between Cymbeline and Much Ado About Nothing, in early editions of
which a ghost character named Innogen was supposed to be Leonato's wife
(Posthumus being also known as "Leonatus", the Latin form of the
Italian name in the other play). Stanley Wells and Michael Dobson point
out that Holinshed's Chronicles, which Shakespeare used as a source,
mention an Innogen, and that Forman's eyewitness account of the April
1611 performance refers to "Innogen" throughout.[4] In spite of these
arguments, most editions of the play have continued to use the name
Imogen."

A GHOST CHARACTER NAMED INNOGEN. Did DWJ know? Oh, and making it even
more layered-ly cool: "In playwriting, a ghost character is a character
who is mentioned as appearing on stage but neither says nor does
anything but enter, and possibly exit. They are generally interpreted
as editing mistakes, indicative of unresolved revisions to the text. If
the character was intended to appear but say nothing, it is assumed
this function would be clearly identified in the play.[1]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_character

Helen Schinske