[DWJ] Hexwood

Gillian Houck erikagillian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 17:22:51 EDT 2012

I was just sort of boggled by the Christopher Moore.  I'd hand almost
any of his books to anyone over 12, maybe some younger, but I read One
Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at ten :)  Is it for the mythologies he
uses?  That is one of my favorites.

I'm also boggled by anyone having trouble with Dark Lord.  That's one
of her more straightforward books.  Maybe they need the Toughguide for
help?

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM,  <jstallcup at juno.com> wrote:
>  Hi everyone,
>
> Someone mentioned Hexwood, which reminded me to tell you that I'm
> teaching it for the first time in a couple of weeks.  I'm a bit nervous
> about it!  Students seem to have enough trouble with Dark Lord... I'm
> having a bit of a "what was I thinking" moment!  So, if anyone has taught
> it before or has suggestions, I'm all ears!
>
> The course is a graduate English course in Childhood and the Fantastic,
> and here's the reading list:
>
> Barrie, J.M.  Peter Pan
> Baum, L. Frank, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (preferably ed. with
> illustrations by Graham Rawle)
> March, William, The Bad Seed
> Dahl, Roald, Matilda
> Sendak, Maurice, Where the Wild Things Are
> Burningham, John, Come Away from the Water, Shirley
> Moore, Christopher Dirty Job
> Card, Orson Scott Ender’s Game
> Collins, Susanne, The Hunger Games
> Jones, Diana Wynne Hexwood
>
> We're doing a brief history of theory of the fantastic as well:  Lewis,
> Tolkien, LeGuin, Swinfen, Attebery and our own Farah Mendlesohn.
>
> And some short stories:  "The Veldt" (Bradbury),  "The Pony" and "And
> Come From Miles Around" (both by Connie Willis)
>
> I'll let you know how it goes...
>
> Looking forward to continuing the monthly reads!
>
> Jackie

E. G. Houck - http://erikagillian.livejournal.com
"Shut up the door, ...fatigued I said,
Tie up the Knocker; say I'm sick, I'm dead."
Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot - Alexander Pope