[DWJ] Hexwood

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:52:40 EDT 2012

Hi, Jackie,

well, yes, what WERE you thinking? :-) *Hexwood* is a difficult novel in
that the timeline isn't linear, but it's not hard to read, really (that's
the beauty of it), especially for a grad class of English majors. I haven't
taught the book, but I do talk about how it exemplifies narrative theory in
my article in *Telling Children Stories*, an anthology edited by Mike
Cadden published by Nebraska UP. *Hexwood *would also prompt good
discussions regarding identity, both self identity and how others see us,
and personal redemption. You could also talk about it in the context of
modern fantasy that draws from Arthurian legend, of course. When I teach
Jones, I usually use *Howl's Moving Castle* because of its inventive use of
fairytale paradigms, or *Fire and Hemlock *as an example of retelling
folktales, but to be honest, I did consider it for my grad class last
spring, though I went with* F&H* because it seemed simpler, ha (because I'd
taught it before).

I'm interested in how it goes with your class. Keep us posted!

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English
Middle Tennessee State University