[DWJ] Hexwood

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Oct 16 15:21:29 EDT 2012

Jackie,

That sounds like so much fun. I teach Dark Lord (which they
mostly like), and I used to teach Power of Three (which they
found extremely confusing, though that wasn't a fantasy class and
I think they were just confused because "aargh names
flailhands").

Hexwood I would think the biggest challenge would be the
timeline. My only thought would be that you should definitely go
into that classroom knowing that you are on top of who's who and
what happened when. (Last time I read that book I did it with a
sheet of paper beside me and I was pleasantly surprised when all
of the timelines actually do work out perfectly. I hadn't thought
they would; I'm not sure why.) Dark Lord is way more
straightforward with its linear narrative, or at least
intertwined linear narratives.

Which I suppose makes sense, given that is pastiche of an
extremely linear style.

-Deborah