[DWJ] Hexwood

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Tue Oct 16 15:14:15 EDT 2012

 Hi everyone,

Someone mentioned Hexwood, which reminded me to tell you that I'm
teaching it for the first time in a couple of weeks.  I'm a bit nervous
about it!  Students seem to have enough trouble with Dark Lord... I'm
having a bit of a "what was I thinking" moment!  So, if anyone has taught
it before or has suggestions, I'm all ears!

The course is a graduate English course in Childhood and the Fantastic,
and here's the reading list:

Barrie, J.M.  Peter Pan
Baum, L. Frank, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (preferably ed. with
illustrations by Graham Rawle)
March, William, The Bad Seed
Dahl, Roald, Matilda
Sendak, Maurice, Where the Wild Things Are
Burningham, John, Come Away from the Water, Shirley
Moore, Christopher Dirty Job
Card, Orson Scott Ender’s Game
Collins, Susanne, The Hunger Games
Jones, Diana Wynne Hexwood

We're doing a brief history of theory of the fantastic as well:  Lewis,
Tolkien, LeGuin, Swinfen, Attebery and our own Farah Mendlesohn.

And some short stories:  "The Veldt" (Bradbury),  "The Pony" and "And
Come From Miles Around" (both by Connie Willis)

I'll let you know how it goes...

Looking forward to continuing the monthly reads!

Jackie