[DWJ] Nowhere vases

Kyra Jucovy arykiy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 19:51:20 EDT 2012

By the way, since I'm procrastinating, I might as well share something that
I think about a lot but never talk about. . .

I was more or less introduced to *Four Quartets* by reading about *Fire and
Hemlock*, and I feel like I don't really know much about the poems because
I've never academically studied them (they are the only poems I am obsessed
with that I have never studied in a formal academic setting).  Obviously,
DWJ herself explicitly stated that F&H was influenced by *Four Quartets* and
wrote about that and discussed it publicly.  But ever since I discovered
the poems, I've kind of associated "The Dry Salvages" with *Spellcoats*,
what with "I do not know much about gods; but I think that the river / Is a
strong brown god—sullen, untamed and intractable,"  I am amused that there
is even a line: "When the train starts, and the passengers are settled,"
which seems relevant to *The Crown of Dalemark*.  And. . . well, since the
whole point of *Four Quartets *is about the intersection of the
timeless/transcendent with time/the mundane, it seems kind of incredibly
relevant to the Dalemark quartet as a whole.

So I can't help but wonder if *Four Quartets *is at all relevant to
Dalemark - I mean, they're even both series of four!  Although maybe it's
just that the intersection of the timeless with time was a theme that
inspired DWJ in general?

---Kyra