[DWJ] Nowhere vases

Emma Falconer emmajanefalconer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:54:47 EDT 2012

I was rereading Fire & Hemlock today as comfort food, and to see if I could
spot any new nuances (having a Maree type situation, and having to stay
with my mother, who unfortunately is a real life version of Ivy). I noticed
something that had always puzzled me.

When Seb threatens Polly and Nina near the beginning he tells Polly "You
didn't eat and you didn't drink, and you worked the Nowhere vases round
first. Don't deny it. I saw you working them. And I haven't told my father
that-yet. You owe me for that." (p50 of the UK Mandarin edition with the
nice cover). Obviously you don't eat and drink the fairies' food if you
want to be able to leave, and I guess the vases are T.S.Eliot's spinning
urns, the inscription relating to that part of the poem discussing time and
reality; and that turning them before going in the house gives you some
other kind of protection. I feel like I'm missing something though, is
there some other reference or inference I'm not picking up here?