[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Charmed Life

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Sat Nov 10 17:27:12 EST 2012

On 10 Nov 2012, at 14:51, Tina <liril at gmx.net> wrote:

> It seems to be characteristic to enchanter's magic that it is very advanced by normal standards and yet the enchanter him/herself sometimes doesn't even know he's (or she) using magic or how he is doing what he is doing. It's been some time since I read Lives of Christopher Chant, but isn't that part of Christopher's problem with - ah, what's it called - witch sight?

Probably. But also, Christopher's teacher Flavian doesn't describe witch sight in the same way as Christopher experiences it - Flavian must have had to work harder at it - and so Christopher doesn't realise what he's talking about.

A lot of things can go wrong with teaching. My first clarinet teacher, who taught me for three and a half years and thought I was good at the clarinet, never noticed that I hadn't grasped the simple principle that you were supposed to put your tongue on the reed. My second teacher spotted it straight away.

> As for Mr Nostrum: Gwendolyn has to tell him Cat has nine lives - that makes a good argument he doesn't know about the rest, too. They know about Chrestomanci being nine-lived, don't they?

I think so. And Mr Nostrum's reply to Gwendolen is, "You foolish girl! That means [Cat]'s an enchanter in his own right!" Meaning he didn't know.

Then again, "in his own right"? As opposed to being an enchanter by stealing another's magic, like Gwendolen? That seems to contradict the rest of what we've been saying. Or does Mr Nostrum think Gwendolen took magic from another enchanter? Who?

> PS: When I was younger, I read Mr. Baslam's name as "Balsam" - and of all the variants Janet uses of the name, I think that one she doesn't come up with...

If she did, a lot of people would misread it, which would make it rather pointless.

Eleanor