[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Charmed Life

Tina liril at gmx.net
Sat Nov 10 09:51:35 EST 2012

Am 07.11.12 15:30, schrieb Eleanor Joslin:
> On 07/11/12 06:29, Jane Scarlett wrote:
>>
>> What puzzles me in all of this is how old Gwendolen was when she put
>> Cat's
>> lives into the box of matches, and how come she knew so much magic then
>> since it was before she had started any training?
>
> Maybe by instinct, the same way Cat is turning things into birds at
> the end of the book?  She's borrowing his magic, so she ought to be
> able to use it the same way he would.

That's what I thought, too. It seems to be characteristic to enchanter's
magic that it is very advanced by normal standards and yet the enchanter
him/herself sometimes doesn't even know he's (or she) using magic or how
he is doing what he is doing. It's been some time since I read Lives of
Christopher Chant, but isn't that part of Christopher's problem with -
ah, what's it called - witch sight?

As for Mr Nostrum: Gwendolyn has to tell him Cat has nine lives - that
makes a good argument he doesn't know about the rest, too. They know
about Chrestomanci being nine-lived, don't they?

Bettina

PS: When I was younger, I read Mr. Baslam's name as "Balsam" - and of
all the variants Janet uses of the name, I think that one she doesn't
come up with...