[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Charmed Life

Levi W. zebraspotz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 22:15:33 EST 2012

Wow, good point about the imperialism.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks about what it would be like to be
dropped into the world of whatever book you're reading.  It's all the more
appropriate in *Charmed Life* when that's basically what happened to
Janet---you have to wonder how you'd react.  And then I have to adjust for
me being a queer, very butch Jew.  :/

Please forgive my ignorance of British history, but world 12A is still best
described as "Victorian," right?  Whatever the era, it always made me think
of the 1890s and early 1900s.  One assumes that the action of *Charmed
Life* takes
place in the 1970s, when the book was published.  There must have been
social (and fashion!) changes in the last 70 or 80 years---are they just
invisible from our limited perspective, or is it the implied lack of World
Wars/toned down Industrial Revolution, or what?

Didn't DWJ once say that the reason there hadn't been a female Chrestomanci
yet was sexism?  But it wasn't even clear to me from the books whether
women *could* be enchanters.  There also seems to be a division between
nine-lived ones and single?-lived ones (such as Uncle Ralph, I think? it's
been too long since I read *Lives*), and I would still like to know whether
there are two- or eight-lived enchanters.

Levi