[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Charmed Life

Gillian Houck erikagillian at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:17:33 EST 2012

I think it's an English minstrel show thing.  An American wouldn't use
Bwana, but "sho'nuff" I think was pretty common.  I didn't grow up
around that kind of language, I only know it from songs and movies and
tv.

And as far as I know, this isn't 'back then'.  I believe the lower
level of technology in the Chrestomanci universe is because of magic,
whereas the our Earth analogue has our technology.  Christopher goes
there in 'Lives.'

Now, it was common when DWJ wrote it, but my god, it's very offensive,
especially here, not even close to ok even when I was a kid, so yeah,
it's different in the US.  The UK had a minstrel show (ie blackface)
on tv at least into the 80s, maybe 90s.  This kind of stuff makes it
hard to read my only copy of Wilkin's Tooth, which is an English one.
I started reading DWJ when all the books hadn't been published here
and I've never seen a cheap copy of an American edition.  And I think
DWJ may have gotten some of it taken out of later editions, but I'm
not sure about that.

There's a difference between reading a book written in the 18th
century and shuddering at word use and treatment of women and other
lesser beings and reading something reasonably contemporary and
running across normal use of stuff like that.  And if a modern book
shows slavery as good in the Roman era, I might have a problem with
that too.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Jessica Spencer
<jessicaspencer at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Until I was sixteen or so I thought that line was "Shouting ..." and had no
> idea what was going on.
>
> On 5 November 2012 13:19, Eleanor Joslin <eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I always assumed Janet was quoting something, maybe a movie, but I never
>> found out what.

<snipped for length>

--
E. G. Houck - http://erikagillian.livejournal.com