[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Charmed Life

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Nov 5 05:29:10 EST 2012

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 22:16:57 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2012, Kyla Mackay-Smith wrote:
>
> > And then I think this time was the first time I actually read the
> > UK HarperCollins version rather than the US Greenwillow version I
> > grew up reading. And in the bit when Cat goes up to his room to
> > find things they can sell (p. 154 in this version, chapter 11),
> > Janet says, "Sho' ting. I daren't move widdout you, bwana. But
> > hurry up." And I don't remember what she says in the version I'm
> > used to, but I'm pretty sure it was probably just something like
> > "Sure thing. I daren't move without you."
>
> Huh. So I don't remember this from the Greenwillow either (which was
> the library edition I grew up with; Charmed Life was my first DWJ),
> but I just checked my US Knopf paperback and that is there.
> Personally I wouldn't mind a bit like that getting changed, eurgh.

I do, because it is silly to pretend that children at the time it was
written were politically correct adults of the twenty-first century.

Rather as if a book written in Roman times were castigated because it
had slaves in it, or even sillier a modern book about Roman times
castigated because it had slaves in it, and either were altered to get
rid of the slaves so they didn't offend anyone's sensibilities.

(Why that "so" at the beginning of your paragraph, Deborah?  I am
interested by that particular usage: is it filler, like um or er, or
does it have a purpose and if it does, what is it?  Serious question.  I
don't think I had encountered that particular opening to sentences
until a couple of years ago, unless it was "So they went on their way"
or something of the sort, an integral part of the sense. Sometimes it
has a comma after the "so" in the same way that people put a comma
after an opening "and" or "but".)

Minnow