[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along - Charmed Life

Tina liril at gmx.net
Sun Nov 4 10:32:23 EST 2012

Ellen wrote:

  When Cat and Gwendolyn have just arrived at Chrestomanci Castle, and
Cat is anxious that evening, Gwendolyn plays cards with him - she's even
the one to suggest it, though she's a bit scornful when she does. So I'd
been assuming that she was kind of mean, but that she loved her brother
deep down.

Yes... She says something like "you'd need looking after" and I noticed
it too, because it seemed quite nice and "sisterly".

and Kyla:

Bettina, I'm shocked that there was that much cut out of the German
translation! I love the church scene. And why take out the skirt snakes?
That's just odd.

It really is. As I wrote I've been wondering if they wanted to take out
stuff that could be considered nasty/icky  (the snakes, the
marmelade/worms, the caterpillars/twigs), but they kept the all
apparitions ("poor Sarah Jane") including the worm and the spider
(There's even a big illustration of the spider...). Of course, if this
scene was cut and/or made "harmless", it would get really hard explain
the adults' reaction...

About the Janet's and Gwendolyn's fingerprints: I would have thought
they'd be identical, because I'd assume Janet and Gwendolyn are. You
could certainly argue that a double that comes into existence because of
a "split" (a person already living when two worlds seperate) would have
identical fingerprints. Of course this doesn't apply to doubles born
after a split. Hm. Makes you wonder what made Gwendolyn turn out so
nasty. We don't know about the doubles (or thirds or whatever), but
possibly having a little brother and the availability of power had
something to do with it...

Bettina