[DWJ] Messiaen and Black Maria

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Tue May 22 17:55:42 EDT 2012

On 22 May 2012, at 19:11, Philip Belben wrote:

> At the moment I'm learning to play "Force et Agilité des Corps Glorieux"
> - Strength and Agility of the Glorious Bodies.  This piece is a sort of
> mad dance.  At the keyboard, I am strongly reminded of Anthony Green's
> dance around the boundaries of Cranbury in Black Maria.  Which made me
> think: he has had a resurrection, of sorts...

So he did.  (He didn't have an H in his name, though.)

At Easter, too.  But not on Sunday - if you read it carefully, it's Monday, and it's probably the week after Easter since Mig and Chris have been off school for a couple of weeks by then.  (A typical British school would break up the week before Good Friday.  I am assuming they go to a state school.)

Diana's nephew Tom Armstrong, who wrote the ballet music, played that section, "Freedom Dance and Love Duet" at the Celebration.  I wouldn't be surprised if that scene was the inspiration for turning the book into a ballet at all.  For me it's one of the most memorable things Diana ever wrote, and I am always happy to discover music that goes with it.  Thank you.

On the same topic, here's a photo Farah posted a few months ago:
https://twitter.com/effjayem/status/142206268218675201j
And here's one of mine:
https://p.twimg.com/AsPeW2ZCEAEw0Um.jpg:large

Eleanor