[DWJ] An alternative view of Lenina

Philip Belben philipbelben at alice.de
Sat Mar 24 06:38:08 EDT 2012

Gillian wrote:

> Oh, interesting points, not sure how much we can actually see in the
> text, but very interesting to think about!

Not much, I admit.  It was very speculative.  I was trying to tell one
possible story.

> I thought the truth he told was I want her, simply that.

I don't think simply telling a girl "I want you", even backed by the
cwidder, would make her abandon her fiancé like that.  The truth that he
needed to tell with the cwidder was rather "you want me".  So my story
was based on the notion that this was true.

Clennen's misuse of truth was to make it "you want me, you want the life
we will have together, you want that more than you want Ganner and all
he can give you".  As Moril discovered, if you tell the truth in the
wrong way, it's not true any longer, though it's just as powerful as before.

Oh, and thanks to Sally for posting that poem about the Pedlar.  I
hadn't thought about it in those terms - I was thinking more of the way
Heyer explores this theme in The Foundling.  Assuming that Lenina didn't
realise she was under a spell, maybe the Pedlar poem expresses what she
thought she thought - the mistake she thought she had made.  (I hope
that makes sense.)

It occurs to me to wonder: Ganner too can have had no idea that Lenina
was under a spell when she ran off.  OK, Clennen had put Ganner on the
spot by asking for the thing in Ganner's hand, but Lenina went quite
willingly.  And yet Ganner remained faithful for seventeen years.  Was
he really such a hero?  Or was he more like me, just someone who doesn't
know when to give up?

Philip.