[DWJ] Monthly read along - POT

Gillian Houck erikagillian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 19:21:12 EDT 2012

One of the main things the book is about is racism/ethnocentrism and
how it works, so those illustrations are just wonderful.   Some stuff
we believe about other cultures is true but unless we look at the
context, say that caterpillars are tasty if made with sufficient
butter and garlic say, we will have this prejudice that they eat icky
stuff.  Hmm just put that together, maybe the Dorrig are French, they
eat disgusting things and are frogs :)

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Ellen Willcox <eawil3 at email.wm.edu> wrote:
> I had this cover:  *http://tinyurl.com/ctbjhjm*  Which tells you only that
> SOMEONE (or something) isn't human.
>
> I only read this book for the first time fairly recently, and was
> fascinated by the ways the different species play off one another.  I like
> that some of the beliefs each species has about the others are true and
> some are propaganda, and you get the impression that some of the things are
> viewed as only myth (like, no one really believes the Dorig descended from
> frogs).  It's all so complex and masterfully done.  And sometimes funny -
> one of my favorite scenes was the one that goes (paraphrasing):
>
> Dorig kids: Yeah, well, Lymen eat caterpillars!
> Giant kids: Is that true?
> Lyman kids: *Thinking* Of course we do, let me tell you about -
> Giant kids: Because BLARGH that would be HORRIFYINGLY DISGUSTING.
> Lyman kids: NO, WE DEFINITELY DO NOT.
>
> I've already written a big ol' review at
> http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3325594-power-of-three , so if anyone's
> curious, them's my thoughts.  :)

E. G. Houck - http://erikagillian.livejournal.com
"Shut up the door, ...fatigued I said,
Tie up the Knocker; say I'm sick, I'm dead."
Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot - Alexander Pope