[DWJ] Monthly read along - POT

Ellen Willcox eawil3 at email.wm.edu
Wed Jul 25 17:02:56 EDT 2012

I had this cover:  *http://tinyurl.com/ctbjhjm*  Which tells you only that
SOMEONE (or something) isn't human.

I only read this book for the first time fairly recently, and was
fascinated by the ways the different species play off one another.  I like
that some of the beliefs each species has about the others are true and
some are propaganda, and you get the impression that some of the things are
viewed as only myth (like, no one really believes the Dorig descended from
frogs).  It's all so complex and masterfully done.  And sometimes funny -
one of my favorite scenes was the one that goes (paraphrasing):

Dorig kids: Yeah, well, Lymen eat caterpillars!
Giant kids: Is that true?
Lyman kids: *Thinking* Of course we do, let me tell you about -
Giant kids: Because BLARGH that would be HORRIFYINGLY DISGUSTING.
Lyman kids: NO, WE DEFINITELY DO NOT.

I've already written a big ol' review at
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3325594-power-of-three , so if anyone's
curious, them's my thoughts.  :)