[DWJ] Monthly read along - POT

Thomas Thurman thomas at thurman.org.uk
Mon Jul 23 17:09:52 EDT 2012

On 23 July 2012 21:31, Ulrika Isacsson <ulrikamc at gmail.com> wrote:
> From her point of view the worst thing with the book
> was the lack of pictures. We had to keep coming back to the front of
> the book to at least be able to see the different persons and species
> in question.

Goodness, does it show the three species on the front cover? I thought
part of the charm of the story was that you didn't discover until well
into the story that Ayna, Gair and Ceri are not the same species as
you, the reader. It's one of my two favourite examples of what
TVTropes calls a "tomato surprise", where something is so well known
to all the characters that it doesn't get mentioned, and so the reader
is allowed to make assumptions which turn out to be false. (My other
favourite example of this is "Tyke Tiler".)