[DWJ] Ogre

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 05:55:45 EST 2012

I was thinking again about going back to a text and finding that it's changed. I'm fairly sure that when I read this as a kid, I didn't start sympathising with Douglas and Malcolm until the POV kids do- until Caspar's day swapped with Malcolm or thereabouts.
Having acquired younger stepsiblings since then... imagine losing your own room because three little horrors get moved into your house, who give you cheek and are so noisy and messy that your father's in a bad mood all the time. I'm astonished Douglas is as forbearing as he is, particularly with the Ogre as a role model.

I like that things get better the more everyone is honest with each other- it's implicit in the case of the kids, but the text explicitly points out that Sally tries to encourage that from the beginning, whereas the Ogre has to learn to do it.

Jennifer