[DWJ] Ogre and back story

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 18:54:49 EST 2012

A very interesting essay; sad too. I've often had similar thoughts when
comparing my own childhood with that of my kids - and I'm a good bit
younger than Michael Chabon. I wonder if this tendency in society has
contributed to the past decade's boom in fantasy and historical fiction
for kids - restoring to protagonists the agency and responsibility
that's absent from their own lives.

Mind you, there's not much in the way of unmediated time for the kids
in The Ogre Downstairs, who seem to be under the controlling eye of the
Ogre most of the time (OTOH of course Gwinny starts the whole narrative
rolling by being given the responsibility to travel to the library on
her own and getting lost. What age is she, nine or so?)

For a glimpse into a very different past, can I recommend this amazing
radio documentary to anyone who has 40 minutes to spare?

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/radio-documentary-dont-go-far.html

It's about two Dublin boys, aged 10 and 13, who in 1985 went out on the
street to play before their dinner, and wound up stowing away on a
series of forms of public transport until they finally arrived... well,
I won't  spoil it for you if you want to listen to it (though the
spoiler is right there on the blurb of the webpage if you want to avoid
it there too).

Joe