[DWJ] Ogre and back story

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 18:04:41 EST 2012

On 23 January 2012 09:50, <jodel at aol.com> wrote:

> Magical toy shops are a trope that used to show up rather often, and still
> does from time to time. Quite often the shop shows up to kick off the
> story, and then no one can find it again, or not until the shouting is
> over. It's a fairly easy way to pitch the reader into the main story
> without having to spend a third of the book on buildup.
>

> In fact, if one stops to think about it, rather a lot of traditional
> stories would be next to incredible today if people actually raised their
> kids the way the prevailing attitudes of the times seem to believe kids
> ought to be raised. Kids simply aren't left unsupervised enough to be able
> to find the kind of gateways that traditionally led to the sort of
> adventures that kids in stories got up to. Regardless of whether the
> stories were fantasy, or so-called "real life".

Michael Chabon has written a marvellous essay on this very topic. It's
called The Wilderness of Childhood, and you can read it online, or it's in
a collection of essays called Manhood for Amateurs.

Here's a link to the essay: I'm sorry, but for some reason it was not
possible to make it a tiny url. It's found easily enough on a web search if
the link below is broken by the time it gets to you!

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2009/jul/16/manhood-for-amateurs-the-wilderness-of-childhood/?pagination=false

Cheers,

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)