[DWJ] Ogre and back story

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Sat Jan 21 14:23:43 EST 2012

The chemistry set is an interesting moment in cultural history, no?  Chemistry sets were usually intended for boys--I know my brother had one.  Are they still for sale? I can't remember seeing them in toy stores in the last few decades.

Also, I am wondering what to think about the preponderance of male children--and the one female is the youngest--in this text by a woman without brothers who eventually excelled in creating female heroes. On the other hand, I am reminded that my mother was an entire tomboy in a family of three girls where the roles created or perhaps expected were femme fatale, tomboy, and geek.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037