[DWJ] Ogre and back story

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at keyfitz.org
Sat Jan 21 14:19:32 EST 2012

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012, Devra wrote:

> It seems to me that Someone said that originally the children did
> actually manage to kill the Ogre....  Can anyone remember this?  How did
> DWJ propose to deal with that?

It was in a discussion about editors and their power plays, or something
like that; the original ending was that Gwinny did kill the Ogre. Or at
least that he died; I'm not positive that it was Gwinny who did it.

And while I'm not a fan of editors saying, "no, you can't write your own
book that way," I'm pretty sure I would have hated the book with the
original ending. Because...he wasn't really an Ogre. He was kind to Gwinny
when she was lost, and their mother married him. Which is not to say that
he wasn't abusive at all (even though viewpoints on whether it's ever okay
to hit your kids differ), or was a totally awesome person all the time.
But eek, murder.