[DWJ] Children of nine-lifed enchanters

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Sun Jan 15 05:37:03 EST 2012

I don't think it is ever stated that your counterparts' parents have to be counterparts of your parents. It's hard to explain how they could be different given the facts of genetics, but perhaps we're supposed to ignore that. Anyway, a child only has half their parents' genes, so perhaps there are other couples who could produce the same genetic child while being only half the same themselves, if that makes sense.

So in other worlds there could be counterparts of Julia and Roger who have completely different parents. Maybe this explains why their magic isn't very strong - strong magic isn't in their counterparts' parents' genomes.

Perhaps counterparts don't have to be genetically identical anyway. Some worlds have more magic than others, so different genes are available there. Isn't there someone in A Sudden Wild Magic whose counterpart is a centaur?

True, all Gwendolen's counterparts look like identical twins. But she comes from a family that's produced two nine-lifed enchanters. I have a theory that this could only happen in a family where counterparts' parents WERE counterparts across all nine worlds, at least in the last generation or two. Nine Franks and nine Carolines marrying in nine worlds and having nine Gwendolens (so to speak) sets up a pretty strong expectation that if one of them has a baby boy next, they all will ... and then they don't. That's where Cat's other lives come from. But to take a random other character whose family we don't know about, if Euphemia's parents' counterparts didn't get together in all nine worlds, there's no particular reason why nine of her should exist.

I always thought that if we are being asked to believe that everyone's counterparts on every world love the same people and have the same children, then given the amount of chance involved in such things, the worlds ought to be a lot more similar than they are.

Eleanor