[DWJ] Children of nine-lifed enchanters

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 00:20:29 EST 2012

I think Janet's parents are the same as Cat's, because they were also first
cousins, remember?  It doesn't say directly that they're exactly the same,
but it's pretty strongly implied because of the cousin thing.
 Christopher's father was a Chant, and they produce strong magic with a
black sheep in every generation or so, and Christopher's Mama was an
Argent, and both she and her brother Ralph had enchanter level magic or
close, and I have the strong impression that (was it Dr. Paxton?) expects
Christopher's 9 life magic to be even better because of his heritage.  And
there's one scene when Uncle Ralph figures out how strong Christopher's
magic is and crows to the Last Governess that something had to come of
heritage like Christopher's.  And we learn in Witch Week that strong magic
in one world is strong talent for something else in a world without magic,
so Janet's parents wouldn't have been magical, but they would have been
reasonably good at other things.

Is there every anything addressing if one can make a nine lifed enchanter,
perhaps by having nine women picked out and giving abortions to eight of
them, or smothering the infants as they're born?  A bit gruesome, but it
seems like the kind of thing someone would come up with.  The Dright, for
example, since he seems to be interested in the enchanters and able to send
people to other series, where they could carry out that sort of plan.

lizzie