[DWJ] Children of nine-lifed enchanters

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Jan 14 23:06:59 EST 2012

I don't think it works like that.  I don't think that it's clearly
established that the parents of nine-lived enchanters are
particularly similar to each other. Janet's parents are not
particularly magical, and she's Gwendolyn's counterpart.

That is, I don't think being a nine-lived enchanter has
very much to do with who your parents were. Chrestomanci
and Cat both have parents with some magical abilities, but
not major abilities, as far as we know.

On Jan 14, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Andrea Höst wrote:

> Interesting question!  But I think the opposite of your thought is
> true - it's impossible for the children of nine-life enchanters to be
> nine-lifed because there were not eight other potential counterparts
> for them.  Because of the uniqueness of their parent, there was only
> ever the potential for one of them.  So your final suggestion is the
> correct one.
>
> As for cats - they are forever unique unto themselves. :)
>
> On 15 January 2012 10:05, Whaaa Meep <slug.bug.yellow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm writing as a longtime fan of Diana Wynne Jones's work, particularly
>> Howl, Fire and Hemlock, and Hexwood, though I've only just discovered this
>> mailing list. I've recently been rereading the Chrestomanci series, and
>> have been seized by a need to know this: why aren't children of nine-lifed
>> enchanters nine-lifers themselves? Surely if Christopher Chant doesn't have
>> a counterpart on 12B, Roger and Julia can't either.

Going into art for the money is like going into prostitution for the health benefits.

                                              --  Ursula Vernon