[DWJ] GUFF

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Jan 8 06:08:46 EST 2012

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 18:55:59 +0800
Kylie Ding <kylie_ding at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm assuming being an active member of a fan mailing list for a
> fantasy writer is enough to count a person as active in fandom!
>
> Skulking around conventions would just be a bonus :-)
>
> I'd suggest naming Minnow or Farah as people who might be known to the
> administrators as they are both con-goers (and runners).

I'm afraid that I cannot honestly vouch for the identity of anyone I
have only met on t'internet, since for all I know they might be Wendi
Deng (or someone pretending to be someone pretending to be her, I
do love that Twitterer); and since Minnow is a nom de net and not the
one under which I have run conventions, it isn't much use to anyone as a
referee. Better to stick to Farah, who is a real person! <grin>

Actually I suspect that knowing about GUFF in the first place makes it
likely that you are active in fandom, if only by propinquity: how else
does someone learn about it, if not through fandom or fannish friends?

I would guess that naming a member of the committee (Membership or
Hotel Liaison seem a fair bet to know your fannish name) of a
convention you have attended would do the trick.  I am certain I have
been used thus when I did both those jobs.

Minnow