[DWJ] Monthly read-along - includes spoilers for Angus Flint

estairm at yahoo.com estairm at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 16:35:04 EST 2012

Who Got Rid of Angus Flint kept surprising me the first time I read it, because of the conventions it didn't follow.

It has a lot packed into a slim story.

1.  the richly horrible personality of the unwelcome guest (and I think I remember he was based on a real person!?!)

2.  the relationships among the siblings -- not stereotyped into all-get-along OR some you root for and some you can't stand.  The reader makes hizzer own judgments on the characters of the sibs, doesn't go along with the (pungent) judgments of the teller of the story.

3.  the personalities the different items of furniture convey without words.  It so could have gone another way, with the furniture just wooden soldiers following the child commander.  Instead, we got real personalities conveyed without one word -- MAGIC.

4. the curious ineptitude of the parents -- also not expected, based on conventional stories for children -- and the reaction of the children -- protective of and exasperated with the parents at the same time.  Complicated, unusual situation, but conveyed so clearly and naturally.

Loved the handwritten notes, too.

Esther