[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along

Gillian Houck erikagillian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:14:43 EST 2012

Wow!  I keep running across heroes of mine, that I don't really
consider contemporaries or in the same places, turning out to be
friends :)  Weirdest to me was Joe Strummer and Bruce Springsteen
liking each others music.  I don't know if they met or not, but
Strummer got the people who run one of the big British music festivals
to let Springsteen play.  Oh, ok, weirder was Johnny Cash and Joe
Strummer doing a duet.  Or maybe Springsteen and Tom Waits?  :)

I was just thinking that Ms Aiken also had a strange childhood, or at
least it sounds strange.

And your daughter is Dido?  Wow.  She was one of the few kids in
fiction that I thought of as someone to emulate when I was a kid.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM,  <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:47:32 -0800
> Gillian Houck <erikagillian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of Auntie Bea's Day
>> Out when I was commenting somewhere about the similarities in some DWJ
>> and Joan Aiken stories.  Auntie Bea also gives you a bad adult as do a
>> lot of Joan Aiken's.  I think the point I was making was when I was
>> reading some DWJ short stories, including that one and Pink Toad Stool
>> (if that's the right one) made me think of the story Cat Flap and
>> Apple Pie and for a bit I couldn't decide if Cat Flap and Apple Pie
>> (which I hadn't read in quite a while) was by Ms Jones or Ms Aiken.
>> Which I think Ms Jones might have taken as a compliment :)  Well, I
>> just assume everyone likes Joan Aiken, since I have loved her since
>> grade school when our teacher read us all of Wolves of Willoughby
>> Chase and had Black Hearts and Nightbirds on the shelves for us to
>> read to ourselves.  Possibly Ms Aiken would have taken it as a
>> compliment too :)
>
> I think they would both have enjoyed the comparison: they were friends.
>
> I got told by both of them separately that my daughter *was* Dido Twite.
> This was slightly alarming, especially since I don't think she had been
> born when Dido was first written.  I don't *think* she was anyone
> written by Diana...
>
> Minnow

E. G. Houck - http://erikagillian.livejournal.com
"Shut up the door, ...fatigued I said,
Tie up the Knocker; say I'm sick, I'm dead."
Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot - Alexander Pope