[DWJ] Monthly Read-Along

Gillian Houck erikagillian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 16:47:32 EST 2012

I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of Auntie Bea's Day
Out when I was commenting somewhere about the similarities in some DWJ
and Joan Aiken stories.  Auntie Bea also gives you a bad adult as do a
lot of Joan Aiken's.  I think the point I was making was when I was
reading some DWJ short stories, including that one and Pink Toad Stool
(if that's the right one) made me think of the story Cat Flap and
Apple Pie and for a bit I couldn't decide if Cat Flap and Apple Pie
(which I hadn't read in quite a while) was by Ms Jones or Ms Aiken.
Which I think Ms Jones might have taken as a compliment :)  Well, I
just assume everyone likes Joan Aiken, since I have loved her since
grade school when our teacher read us all of Wolves of Willoughby
Chase and had Black Hearts and Nightbirds on the shelves for us to
read to ourselves.  Possibly Ms Aiken would have taken it as a
compliment too :)

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:01 AM, Kylie Ding <kylie_ding at hotmail.com> wrote:
> This month we are discussing Drowned Ammet.
>

> We are reading The Spellcoats and "Auntie Bea's Day Out" from Warlock at the
> Wheel or Unexpected Magics.  I also realised that last month we were meant
> to have read "Carruthers" (also from Warlock at the Wheel or Unexpected
> Magics) so at it's another short one I thought we could add it in this
> month.
>

> Kylie

E. G. Houck - http://erikagillian.livejournal.com
"Shut up the door, ...fatigued I said,
Tie up the Knocker; say I'm sick, I'm dead."
Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot - Alexander Pope