[DWJ] Deep Secret 1st American edition (was Re: nursing)

Tue Sep 13 13:20:12 EDT 2011

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:41:02 +0100, Joe wrote:

>On 12 Sep 2011, at 23:22, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
>>
>> I mean, unless you can make it on-topic,
>
>I can't resist mentioning Rupert's comment about Janine's horrible
>appliqued jersey. Which was offensive enough to somebody to be
>bowdlerised out of the first American edition, if I recall correctly,
>so that rather makes your point for you.

This is inaccurate. The first American edition, published by Tor (and,
incidentally, as adult fiction) in hardcover has the reference to rabbits'
testicles (p. 258), breasts cut off and so forth. Any bowdlerization had to
be original to the later reissue, which I think was by Tor's YA imprint
Starscape. This would not be the first misstep by the editors of that line,
though in general their reissues have been very good. It's unfortunate that
most readers will only have access to the newer, badly-revised edition.

Melissa Proffitt