[DWJ] nursing

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 08:55:22 EDT 2011

Actually I was thinking of the remark that Irina mentioned below:

'"She's trying to tell you," I said, "that someone has stapled six
rabbit's testicles to your right breast." Janine's head jerked upright.
She stared at me for a second, obviously wondering if I had said what
she thought she heard. Then she settled for looking puzzled and
distant, turned and stalked gracefully away.'

I believe this may be around p.250 in the 1st Gollanz edition, although
(aagh!) I can't find my copy anywhere. I mentioned this in the context
of offence being given and taken. Rupert, most definitely on the side
of the angels (even if he doesn't always agree with the Upper Room),
setting out in his polite way to give as much offence as possible; and
the American YA editors duly taking - or more likely, anticipating -
offence and changing it (the testicles, that is, to 'turds' weirdly
enough. What did they do about the br**st? I can't find the discussion
that took place way back in 2002? 03? in the archive, just an allusion
to it in a thread called Deep Secret editions in Oct 2005.)

Someone has blogged about these changes more recently, with
screenshots, here:

http://jennysbooks.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/writing-swear-words-in-the-
margins/

Anyhow, so much for an ObDWJ about nursing; pretty off the point as it
turns out. I had thought that the story _The fluffy pink toadstool_
might yield one, but mercifully no (that trades in some pretty
unforgiving caricatures of certain lifestyle options, but not that
particular one).

Cheers,

Joe