[DWJ] nursing

Helen Schinske hschinske at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 13:40:06 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Irina Rempt" <irina at valdyas.org>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones discussion" <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] nursing

> On Wednesday 07 September 2011 08:59:38 estairm at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> nursing twins is a mighty challenge.
>
> Not even the nursing itself (though it's definitely a full-time job) but
> all
> the opposition from bystanders and professionals.

Seconded. The best I got from the hospital nurses was a doubtful "Well, it's
great that you're going to try." And that was with full-term twins who were
just like any other average healthy newborns. In hindsight I had a lot less
trouble nursing them than many women have with one baby.

I nursed them mostly at the same time, on a nursing pillow, which I could
pretty soon manage hands-free once they were latched on. For some months I
encouraged marathon nursing sessions as it was the only time I could read
quietly and they were pretty sure not to cry. Eventually, of course, they
started grabbing the book and being distracted.

Later on they nursed for much shorter stretches, and it really was not any
more trouble doing that for them than anything else I did. I'm sorry now we
didn't go longer, but at that time I had no notion of there being any
special benefit to continuing after a year (we did fifteen months, as right
around their first birthday was a super clingy time for them and it looked
like a terrible time to try weaning). My son, four years younger,
self-weaned at just short of two and a half. (In the US, by the way, weaning
means stopping breastfeeding, not introducing solid foods.)

Helen Schinske