[DWJ] nursing

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Wed Sep 7 03:13:03 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 07 September 2011 08:59:38 estairm at yahoo.com wrote:

> nursing twins is a mighty challenge.

Not even the nursing itself (though it's definitely a full-time job) but all
the opposition from bystanders and professionals. Starting in the hospital,
when they were given a bottle because "that's what we do with five-pound
babies". It took me a week to get them used to the breast when we were home,
three days of which I spent in bed eating, nursing, sleeping and reading. Now
the hospital has a lactation consultant, perhaps partly because I wrote them a
very waspish letter once the hormones were no longer raging.

At the baby clinic it took all the power of me, two fierce daughters, and my
best friend to convince a (female) pediatrician that "supplement with formula"
wasn't a correct answer to my question "how do I get my milk up"-- this was a
doctor who either didn't know that supplementing would make the milk go
*down*, or didn't believe in nursing twins at all. (Women only have been doing
it for millennia, so it's evidently impossible.)

Don't misunderstand me, formula is a great invention that saves babies' lives
and mothers' sanity, but I was happy that we didn't need it.

   Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin.
Blog: http://valdyas.org/fo3