[DWJ] Diana Wynne Jones mini-con in Tel Aviv, October 17

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Fri Oct 21 18:24:48 EDT 2011

Mini report on the DWJ convention: it turns out there were supposed to be
two more events that I hadn't known about, one was cancelled at the last
minute, but if it hadn't been there would have been eight solid hours of DWJ
programming with one two-hour parallel session. I'm really quite impressed.
I attended the Damian Hoffman lecture, which was a basic but in my mind
solid introduction to DWJ. He confessed that he had only started reading
Jones after her death, but he had clearly done his homework, and put
together an enjoyable and appreciative presentation. Focus was mostly on the
Chrestomanci books, probably because those are the best known in Israel.

Second lecture I attended was given by Genia Kuslov, whom I know from Harry
Potter fandom in Israel. Most of the lecture was a general breakdown of
different anthropological approaches to magic, and a few minutes in the end
were devoted to trying to place DWJ in this context, as in, how does magic
work and how is it explained in her worlds. Genia is charming and knows her
stuff, but I must confess this was not my favorite lecture.

I missed the plasticine workshop but the prototype Howl's Moving Castle was
later given to me by Rotem Baruchin, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I've found a nice
glass case for it, hope I can preserve it for a couple of years.

I missed the later 2-hour lecture because I was needed at home, but I
returned to the concluding panel in which I also took a seat. I thought the
panel went very well, attendance was impressive. Discussion gravitated
towards questions about what makes DWJ a children's author, do children
actually like her books, why do adults also like her books, etc. Strayed a
bit off topic discussing other convention-thwarting texts for children, and
there was the inevitable person in the audience who was writing a children's
book (her first) and believed this made her an expert and let me tell you
all about it. But discussion was good natured and pretty lively and the
moderator, Ehud Maimon, did a good job of moving it along.

It was lovely having Esther join for the entire day, together we were a
contingent from the list and I felt strengthened. I mentioned the planned
rereading and discussion of all DWJ's books, and a couple of people have
asked me for info on how to join the mailing list, so we may be boosting the
Israeli chapter even more...

All in all, a very favorable experience, the best part was seeing just how
many people showed up in the audience and were clearly fans.

Next week I am off to San Diego to take part in the World Fantasy
Convention. There will be a panel in memory of Diana Wynne Jones which I am
moderating, with dream team participants: Neil Gaiman, Sharyn November and
Jo Fletcher (who, I am told, was the one who dragged DWJ to her first con).
Here is a link to the convention website:
http://www.wfc2011.org/html/mainmenu.html   Panel is on Saturday, 5pm.

Gili