[DWJ] Arithmancy, was Re: Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Helen Schinske hschinske at aol.com
Wed Oct 5 14:35:09 EDT 2011

I say AR-ith-man-cy, like arithmetical. But "howjsay.com" (which does give
American as well as British pronunciations -- ask it about "oregano" and the
like) says "a-RITH-man-cy," so perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm still ticked at the high school teacher I had (a Kings College,
Cambridge man) who told me as a joke that pronunciation differences between
the UK and US were often ar-BIT-ra-ry, giving me the mistaken impression
that the Brits accentuate the BIT, which is not true.

My Latin teacher used to tell us "You're putting the em-PHAS-is on the wrong
syl-LAB-le."

Helen Schinske (in Seattle)