[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Thomas Thurman thomas at thurman.org.uk
Wed Oct 5 06:01:18 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 10:34:44AM +0100, Eleanor Joslin wrote:
> On 04/10/11 22:48, Andrea Höst wrote:
>> On 5 October 2011 01:51, Eleanor Joslin<eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk>  wrote:
>>> Yes.  Part of why I have never much liked it as a name is that he and his predecessors aren't Italian, and he doesn't have any particular connection with Italy (in The Magicians of Caprona he's a foreigner) and so I don't think it makes sense for him to have a name that looks Italian, especially when it really isn't.  Or is it?
>>
>> The first Chrestomanci may have been Italian.  [Since surely there's
>> been more than the ones we met?]  Since it's a title, not a family
>> name, there's many ways to explain its etymology.  Perhaps the
>> language of magic bears a strong resemblance to Italian?
>
> I thought of that, but then I'm not sure why they have a castle in
> England and work for the British government.  Perhaps that's the case
> only for as long as the Chrestomanci is British.

Perhaps it's some kind of analogue to the Pax Britannica.

> Although, is Gabriel de Witt British?

I don't know, but here's something I'd wondered about him: why is his title
"Monsignor"? AFAIK in this world, this is a title of Roman Catholic priests
rougly equivalent to "Canon" in the Anglican churches. Is de Witt a RC priest?
(Or perhaps that's a meaningless question if the Reformation never happened.)

Thomas

Thomas Thurman - poet and programmer - thomas at thurman.org.uk
What happens when a dragon steals your library books? http://s.coop/borrowable